Rental Screening Criteria
**THE $50.00 SCREENING FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE**
Zenith Properties NW, LLC does not discriminate based on: race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, familial status, disability or source of income. We comply with all federal, state and local laws concerning Fair Housing.
Thank you for your interest in a Zenith-Managed home. Our goal is to consistently offer top quality rental homes to our tenants. An important component of the management process is to maintain a thorough screening process. We will accept applications meeting the requirements listed on the Property Marketing Sheet and in which all the applicants meet the following qualifications.
Applications must be completed in full by all residents 18 years of age or over. All complete applications received will be processed. The first application to obtain approval status and place a deposit will obtain an offer to lease. All other applicants will be notified.
- Valid photo identification required.
- A complete and accurate application with phone numbers. Incomplete applications will be returned.
- Each applicant will be required to qualify individually.
- Applicant must be able to enter a legal and binding contract.
- Incomplete, inaccurate or falsified information will be grounds for denial.
- Any applicant currently using illegal drugs or reporting a conviction for the illegal manufacture or distribution of a controlled substance will be denied.
- Any individual who may constitute a direct threat to the health and safety of an individual, the complex, neighborhood or the property of others will be denied.
- An application insufficient in Credit and Rental Requirements shall require an additional security deposit equal to the 50% of stated rental amount, over and above any other security deposit or additional security deposit required.
- The total security deposit required will be that of the least qualified applicant.
- The denial of one applicant will result in the denial of the entire application.
- In order to qualify as a co-signer, you must fully meet all areas of the criteria and must have a minimum monthly income of five times the stated rent.
- Gross monthly household income must equal two and one-half times the stated monthly rent. If monthly income does not equal 2-1/2 times the stated monthly rent, a qualified co-signer will be required.
- Most recent and concurrent 2 paycheck stubs from your employer will be required. Verifiable income or liquid assets equal to 2-1/2 times the total annual rent will be required for unemployed applicants. Unemployed applicants will also need to provide an additional security deposit of 100% of the stated rental amount (Verifiable income may mean, but is not limited to: bank accounts, spousal support/child support, trust accounts, social security, unemployment, welfare, grants/loans.) Self-employed applicants will be verified through the state. A recorded business name or corporate filing is required. Verification of ownership is required. Zenith may require additional proof at management’s discretion. An additional security deposit of not less than 50% of the stated rental amount is required.
- Application will be denied if the legal source of income cannot be verified.
- One year of current third party verifiable (non-family member) rental or mortgage history is required. Home ownership is verified through the county tax assessor. Mortgages currently reflecting a past due balance will require an additional security deposit equal to one month’s rent. Home ownership negotiated through a land sales contract is verified through the contract holder. (Rental references ending 12 months prior to the date of application will not be considered current.)
- Eviction-free rental history is required.
- Rental history reflecting past due rent or an outstanding balance will be denied.
- If a landlord gives a negative reference or refuses to give a reference, the application will be denied.
- Three (3) or more 72-hour notices within a period of one year will result in a denial.
- Three (3) or more NSF checks within a period of one year will result in a denial.
- Rental history demonstrating noise or other documented complaints will result in a denial when the landlord would not re-rent.
(Exception: A biological or legal dependent child of the approved applicant(s) who is between 18-24 years of age does not need to have rental history, i.e. a student still living at home.)
Upon receipt of the rental applications and screening fee, Zenith will conduct a search of public records to determine whether the applicant or any proposed tenant has been convicted of, or pled guilty to or no-contest to, any crime.
- A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, ever for: any felony involving serious injury, kidnapping, death, arson, rape, sex crimes and/or child sex crimes, extensive property damage or drug-related offenses (sale, manufacture, delivery or possession) A/Felony burglary or class A/Felony robbery; or
- A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last seven years for: any other felony charges; or
- A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last seven years for: any misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor involving assault, intimidation, sex related, drug related (sale, manufacture, delivery or possession), property damage or weapons charges; or
- A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last three years for: any misdemeanor in the above categories or any gross misdemeanors shall be grounds for denial of the rental application. Pending charges or outstanding warrants for any of the above will result in a suspension of the application process until the charges are resolved. Upon resolution if an appropriate unit is still available, the application process will be completed. Units will not be held awaiting resolution of pending charges.
(Exception: criminal vehicle or licensing records are not counted; i.e. DUI, fishing w/o license, etc.)
If your application is denied due to negative and adverse information being reported you should:
- Contact Background Investigations at 503.639.6000.
- If credit related, contact the credit reporting agency listed on the denial letter.
- Request a correction if the information being reported is incorrect.
If your application has been denied and you feel you qualify as a resident under the criteria stated above, you should write to our: Equal Opportunity Manager PO Box 871600, Vancouver, WA 98687
Explain the reasons you believe your application should be reevaluated and request a review. Your application will be reviewed within (7) working days from the date your letter is received and your will be notified of the outcome.
An application may also be denied, for one or more of the following reasons:
Applicant(s) make any derogatory or offensive comments, and/or act in a boisterous, threatening, combative, and intoxicated or disorderly manner, during any phase of the inspection, meeting, application or screening process.
Disabled Accessibility Statement
Zenith Properties NW, LLC allows existing premises to be modified at the full and complete expense of the disabled person. If the disabled person agrees to restore the premises (per fair housing guidelines) at their own expense to the pre-modified condition. We require:
- The applicant to seek the landlord’s written approval before making the modifications.
- Reasonable assurances (in writing) that the work will be performed in a workmanlike manner. Reasonable details regarding eh extent of the work to be done.
- Names of the qualified contractors that will be used.
- Appropriate building permits and the required licenses must be made available for inspection by the landlord.
- A deposit for the restoration may be required.